Perks of a downsized 20 item wardrobe?
The frustration of having a wardrobe full of clothes and nothing to wear – it’s awful!
Too much of a good thing? Definitely!
But what if we downsized our wardrobe down to our 20 most often worn items?
It may seem impractical (or horrifying) for many of us, but if we look at the basic staples of an easy mix-and-match wardrobe, could we rethink how much clothing we wear and need?
Or how much stress may be attached to choosing what to wear?
I’ve got nothing to wear!! 😫
While most of us wouldn’t complain about a wardrobe full of great clothes, that’s exactly what many of us have. Yet we can still struggle to easily dress and feel amazing every day.
So here’s a daily wear wardrobe solution! Designed to be the simplest, most practical grab-and-go mix and match combo.
The key to this solution is to focus on the clothes we wear most – top and bottom and accessories. And then build around that.
Simple staple pieces for easy daily dressing.
Some of us in hot climates wear summer leggings or shorts and singlets, others in cold climates wear turtlenecks and corduroy more.
This is a sample wardrobe of what I would choose for my life between hot humid Hong Kong and the cool climate of the UK.
Below is my 20 item list of essentials, together with hand-picked Amazon links of items I think look fabulous.
You might recognise the Nicole Miller Asscher cut earrings, which regularly appear on my instagram in both yellow and white – they get both admiring glimpses and compliments, and are the ultimate in classic luxury for all occasions. Worth getting! And if you’re going for old money millionaire fashion looks for business or pleasure, Asscher cut stones always exude generational elegance.
Also my favourite top staples are the ribbed turtleneck and singlets. I wear these more than any other items, since I wear the singlets all year round- wearing them layered under turtlenecks in winter.
20 wardrobe essentials – lets go!
My 20 items includes the following, using black as the base because I wear it the most and frankly just love the elegant simplicity of black clothing!
Lines are simple and body-complimenting to encourage the eye to wander to accessories.
Note that I always choose ribbed tops for basics (as mentioned in How to Dress Like A Millionaire (When You’re On A Budget)) because they are more flattering, hide bra straps and other little lumpy bits better and also hold their shape well over many washes.
- 1. Tank / Singlet top (ribbed)
- 2. Blouse (black or white)
- 3. Turtleneck (ribbed)
- 4. Big warm sweater (wear alone or under jacket)
- 5. Warm winter jacket (trench style favoured)
- 6. Perfect everyday block colour trousers (ADORE Zara high waist leggings)
- 7. Pencil skirt in flattering cut & fabric
- 8. Elegant shorts for casual summers (buy slightly loose for slimming effect and wear with blouse for extra elegance)
- 9. Ballet flats (or other flats / sandals for summer wear)
- 10. Sneakers (daily wear – Louboutin high tops, Adidas etc)
- 11. Dressy heels (fabulous yet practical style!)
- 12. Boots (ankle booties, knee high or thigh high roll ups!)
- Diamond earrings (for day or night wear)
- Shawl (Wide wool-cashmere folded for all kinds of uses)
- Hat (Fabulous fedora most practical for all year, but I also have beret!)
- Gloves – fun stylish winter gloves!
- Favourite accessory (wrist/neck/hair etc) What style defines you? Wear it!
- Daily wear bag (Loewe Amazona, Louboutin Paloma, LV Speedy etc)
- Evening wear bag (clutch or mini bag eg. Chanel quilted shoulder bag, Louboutin Scarabee, Alexander McQueen clutch or crossbody)
Of course this is just the daily wear list. For other ideas, why not check out How To Dress Like A Millionaire (When You’re On A Budget), 20 Essential Exercise Items for Sexy Women or 20 Essential 20 items Packing List for Tropical Holidays?
And if you’re considering designer brands, check out the options via any one of our affiliate links – promoting products from guaranteed authentic luxury resale sites Vestiaire Collective, TheRealReal, Reebonz and Luxury Garage Sale at up to 90% off – like these ones below.
Yummy prices and better for the environment. Win win!